Loading... Please wait...

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) & Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) & Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)


Supplemental Security Income (SSI) makes monthly payments to people with low income and limited resources who are 65 or older, or blind or disabled. Your child, younger than 18, can qualify if he or she meets Social Security's definition of disability for children, and if the child's income and resources fall within the eligibility limits. The amount of the SSI payment is different from one state to another because some states add to the SSI payment. If a child is on medical assistance, he or she may be considered a family of one.

SSI is a Federal Income Supplement Program funded by general tax revenue. If you have a disabled child (even at birth), contact the Social Security Office to apply for Supplemental Security Income or the Social Security Disabled Insurance (SSDI) benefits for adults disabled since childhood. Individuals who have a disability that began before they became 22 years old can apply for SSDI. Social Security considers this SSDI benefit as a "child" benefit because it is paid on a parent Social Security earning record.

These benefits also are payable to an adult who received dependent benefits on a parent's Social Security earning record prior to 18, if he or she is disabled at age 18.

When a child becomes an adult at age 18, Social Security uses different medical and nonmedical rules when deciding if an adult can get SSI disability payments. For example, Social security does not count the income and resources of family members when deciding whether an adult meets the financial limits for SSI. Social Security counts only the adult's income and resources and uses the disability rules for adults when deciding whether an adult is disabled.

SSDI disabled adult "child" benefits continue as long as the individual remains disabled. Your child does not need to have worked to get these benefits.

If you are applying for SSI payments for your child, you should have his or her Social Security number and birth certificate with you when you apply. If you are applying for SSDI benefits for your child, please bring your social security number with you in addition to the child's social Security number and birth certificate.

Apply for SSI or SSDI benefits for your child by calling Social Security toll free at 1-800-772-1213 or by visiting your local Social Security office


ACCI has provided information to help parents to become more familiar with various programs because the owner of ACCI had a disabled step-son. This information is being shared in memory of her step-son, Matthew.

Parents should obtain descriptive information from Social Security to become more familiar with the various programs.

Often individuals fail to obtain funding because they request information on the wrong program (Social Security not SSI or SSDI). No one has informed them of various programs or they just don't try..........ask questions.....often a disabled child has to be receiving medical assistance (Medicaid) in order to be eligible to receive other programs....

For more information go to this website:  www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/ssi.htm

How to apply for Medical Assistance - Fill out the application.  Make sure to write "MA Disabled Child Category PH95" across the top of the form.  This will alert the caseworker to consider the child for eligibility because of their disability.

If this information is helpful and just a place to start, don't get discouraged - seek, ask and you will find your answers.  If you have some time on your hands, look around you.  If someone else needs a hand (opening a door, ride to the store, a short visit), please extend yourself even when you're not asked.  We are all part of one Family.


1 800-982-2248

Return to home page




Copyright 2022 Augmentative Communication Consultants, Inc.. All Rights Reserved.
 Sitemap | BigCommerce Premium Themes by PSDCenter